The church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church on February 24, 2018 began with Mark (sophomore) leading the congregation in singing “Come, Christians, Join to Sing”.
DuWayna Downey talked about local prison ministries during the ministry corner. Pastor Cory Pittman, a retired pastor who has headed up this ministry and who recently had severe health problems, is recovering. The women inmates really appreciate the services organized for them and the small gifts given them at Christmas. Keep these inmates in your prayers, especially when they are released and are strongly tempted to go back to their former lifestyles.
Ricardo Reid welcomed everyone and made a few announcements. Vespers tonight will be in the auditorium at 5:00 p.m. Tomorrow there will be a memorial service for Bob Davis at 1:00 p.m. in the academy auditorium.
Mark (sophomore) led the congregation in finishing the hymn they had started. Mark Kent played an introit. The congregation had a silent invocation. The congregation then sang “Jesus Is Coming Again”. Ricardo Reid then had the Morning Prayer; the congregation sang “Hear Our Prayer”.
Abril (sophomore) then called for the offering. Hiram (junior) and John Ellis then collected the morning offerings; the loose offering went to the local church advance. The congregation sang the doxology, and Abril prayed for the offering.
John Kent then told the children a story about a little boy who kept pouring milk into a churn. Every time the process had to start over. This is similar to our stomach processes who require no eating between meals so they can get their job done. This gives us clearer minds so we can understand what God wants us to know about life.
Fabiola (junior) read Revelation 14:6-7 “6 ¶ And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.”
Angela Volpe, Dyaine (senior), and Rachel (junior) sang for special music, accompanied by Mark Kent on the piano. Ricardo Reid discussed the topic “The Great Hope”. The congregation sang “We Have This Hope”. Ricardo Reid had the closing prayer.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Angela Volpe – school office secretary / Mark Kent’s fiancé
John Ellis – former staff member and retired mechanic living nearby / local church deacon
John Kent – Mark Kent’s father
Mark Kent – Laurelbrook IT specialist
Ricardo Reid – assistant boys’ dean / head local church elder
Following are some notes on the sermon by Ricardo Reid:
1. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 “16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”
2. No individual can live without hope. God has given Christians special hope because they are living in the midst of the Great Controversy.
3. The great hope and comfort is the coming of Christ. Revelation has the connection between Christ’s Coming and the Three Angels’ Messages, which proceed that Coming.
4. The first half of Revelation deals with the history of the Great Controversy; the second half deals with the consummation of the Great Controversy
5. The Great Controversy is a relay race with each church handing on the message to the next church. With Jesus this race will be successful.
6. Revelation begins with 7 churches, 7 seals, and 7 trumpets. Much of this has already taken place. The sanctuary message proceeds each group of seven.
7. After this comes a large picture of the Great Controversy (Revelation 12). The dragon persecutes the woman down to End Times.
8. Revelation 13 has a historical section and a prophetic section as well.
9. In Revelation 14, there is a snapshot of the future, showing Christ and those redeemed.
10. Then come the Three Angels Messages – Fear the Judgment, Fall of Satan’s system, Fire – Satan’s church will attempt to force his form of religion and push the state to do so, too. At this point, God’s wrath will fall on all who follow Satan’s lead.
11. The First Angel’s Message shows the proclamation of God’s Judgment on earth, calling on all to properly worship God. We are part of these End Time people to preach the messages and not notice Satan’s distractions. This movement is a rapid one.
12. The angel is a glorious and powerful messenger from God, an exalted work. The warning is uttered with a loud voice to every people group in the world.
13. The 2300 day prophecy and the 1260 day prophecy point to the End Time.
14. Daniel 12:4 “But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.”
15. 2 Thessalonians 2:3 “Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;”
16. Thus only after the Great Apostasy comes can we look for the Second Coming.
17. Daniel 12:1-9 “1 ¶ And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation [even] to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. 2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame [and] everlasting contempt. 3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. 4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased. 5 ¶ Then I Daniel looked, and, behold, there stood other two, the one on this side of the bank of the river, and the other on that side of the bank of the river. 6 And [one] said to the man clothed in linen, which [was] upon the waters of the river, How long [shall it be to] the end of these wonders? 7 And I heard the man clothed in linen, which [was] upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that [it shall be] for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these [things] shall be finished. 8 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what [shall be] the end of these [things]? 9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words [are] closed up and sealed till the time of the end.”
18. Note Verse 7, which talks about 1260 days till the End Times.
19. After 1798 started the End Times. Knowledge of prophecies started to increase with people in different parts of the world being enlightened by God about these prophecies. These included Dr. Joseph Wolff, Missionary to the World; Arabs of Yemen, Tatary, England, South America, Germany…
20. America became the center of the Advent Movement.
21. Revelation 14:14-15 “14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud [one] sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle. 15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.”
22. Revelation 14:16-17 “16 And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped. 17 And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.”
23. Revelation 14:18-20 “18 And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe. 19 And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast [it] into the great winepress of the wrath of God. 20 And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand [and] six hundred furlongs
24. There are 7 beatitudes of Revelation. Typical is Revelation 20:6 “Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.”
25. The Three Angels Messages were given by God to warn the world.
26. Satan has deceived so many in the world and the church that the Image of Christ can hardly be seen. God’s intention is that when people look at His church they will see His face.
27. The Great Hope gives comfort to God’s people.
28. Allow God to do His surgery to transplant His face in place of your sin-scared face Satan has been developing.