Sabbath services on February 24, 2018 began with a song service led by Mark (sophomore), accompanied by Mark Kent on the piano. The opening song was “Faith of Our Fathers”. Angela Volpe welcomed everyone and had prayer.
Jean Talley read the scripture reading – Luke 2:52 “And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.”
Elijah (junior) then read a story about a man who took up drinking and smoking. Eventually, he landed in the hospital with an unknown disease and had six hours of surgery. He gave his life to the Lord, was baptized, and is currently working as a custodian.
Elyjah then called for the Laurelbrook Missions Offering, which was collected by Dyaine (senior) and Rachel (junior) and which goes to support Laurelbrook mission trips.
Angela Volpe had the superintendent’s remarks on character. Angela Volpe then announced the classes and had the closing prayer. The congregation then became two Sabbath School classes, one taught by Clifton Brandt in the church sanctuary and one in the back of the sanctuary “behind the glass” taught by Dorka Ellis.
Following are a few notes from the theme talk:
1. Nathan Hale had grown up in a Puritan and conservative home with seven children. They were also very patriotic.
2. Washington asked several men to be spies, an occupation considered horrible and shameful. But Nathan felt impressed to accept the call.
3. Unfortunately, he was quickly captured by the British and told the British general that he regretted he had only one life to lose for his country.
4. Ellen White says that men are needed who are true and honest.
5. The Story Hour focused on character building.
6. Ellen White says that the only thing we can take from this world to the next is character.
7. True character is the quality of soul revealed in life situations.
8. Christian character consists of self-control and an allegiance to the right.
9. Christian character consists of honor, loyalty, kindness, and religious convictions.
10. Some people’s characters have negative connotations like rudeness.
11. Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
12. Those who around us affect us in the same way.
13. Proverbs 13:20 “He that walketh with wise [men] shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.”
14. John 1:46 “And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.”
15. Note that the town environment affects character.
16. Education affects character. “6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.”
17. Even though things may affect you, you don’t have to yield to them and mold your character by them.
18. Luke 2:52 “And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.”
19. Note that Jesus had a good character despite the character of His boyhood town.
20. Daniel’s friends also grew up with good characters and showed them despite the pressure to conform.
21. Daniel 6:4 “Then the presidents and princes sought to find occasion against Daniel concerning the kingdom; but they could find none occasion nor fault; forasmuch as he [was] faithful, neither was there any error or fault found in him.”
22. In all his years in office, Daniel had always done things right – an example of good character.
23. Joseph also had a good character despite his upbringing and resisted Potiphar’s wife’s temptations.
24. Philippines 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
Personnel Other Than Students:
Angela Volpe – school office secretary / Mark Kent’s fiancé
Clifton Brandt – works with Laurelbrook’s water, sewer, and boiler systems
Dorka Ellis – wife of Daryll Ellis, local church deacon who works for nearby Majestic Stone Company
Jean Talley – retired nurse living on the Laurelbrook campus
Mark Kent – Laurelbrook IT specialist